Mammograms and ultrasounds are the best way to detect breast cancer early when it is easier to detect and treat.
As we wind down October and Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we wanted to remind our clients and friends about the importance of yearly screenings and early detection. We take health and wellness very seriously around here. And cancer is something we encourage everyone to get screened for sooner rather than later. We have survivors on staff and we are grateful they did not wait!
Other than skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women. Mammograms and ultrasounds are the best way to find breast cancer early, when it is easier to treat and before it is big enough to feel or cause symptoms. Knowledge of the symptoms, risk factors and how to lower those risk factors will empower you to take charge of your health.
Know the Symptoms:
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast.
- Pain in any area of the breast.
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk (including blood).
- A new lump in the breast or underarm.
Know the Risk Factors:
- Being a woman
- Being older than 50
- Any changes to your BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes
Know How to Lower Your Risk:
- Keep a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
- Choose not to drink alcohol, or drink alcohol in moderation.
- If you are taking hormone replacement therapy or birth control pills, ask your doctor about the risks.
- Breastfeed your children, if possible.
We love our clients here at AMS Studios and want to continue to pamper you for years to come, so we recommend getting educated on breast cancer and we encourage you to talk to your health care provider about what is right for you. We are here for anything that keeps you happy and healthy. If you have not already had one this year, schedule your mammogram today.