Who Should Get One
There has been a lot of hype about vampire facials lately. So-called “extreme” facials have become increasingly popular recently. They bring a lot of attention to thirsty celebrities trying to rack up the likes on social media. But honestly, the vampire facial is incredibly beneficial. It helps minimize the appearance of specific signs of aging. This treatment helps repair the skin, smoothing wrinkles, reducing dark spots and improving texture. You’ve probably heard about Kim Kardashian getting one and thought, WTF? But hear us out.
What It IS:
A Vampire Facial combines microneedling (also known as collagen-induction therapy) with topical application of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) derived from your own blood. Also known as a PRP facial, this skin rejuvenation treatment creates an overall improvement in skin texture and tone. It can also reduce scars, correct hyperpigmentation, tighten lax skin, smooth fine lines and minimize the appearance of large pores.
What It DOES:
A Vampire facial works in two ways. First, microneedling creates tiny fissures in your skin, triggering a wound-healing response that stimulates your skin’s natural collagen and elastin production. Then, to further boost skin cell regeneration, the growth-factor-packed PRP penetrates the skin through the microchannels created via microneedling.
The PRP from your blood contains red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets that contribute to essential growth functions and healing. The growth factors in PRP contribute to cell proliferation and differentiation. The PRP amplifies collagen production, increases cell turnover, and spurs growth of new blood vessels, resulting in longer-term rejuvenating effects.
You will see increased radiance within days of your treatment, and benefits increase over four to six weeks as the production of new collagen increases.
- The treatment is fast (typically taking less than an hour) and requires little downtime.
- The Vampire Facial maintains a high praise from those who receive it, with many praising their results especially after multiple treatment sessions.
- It’s suitable for all skin tones and types. Still, to minimize the risk of hyperpigmentation, providers may more shallowly microneedle and/or pretreat patients who have olive or brown skin tones.
- There’s little chance of an allergic reaction, since PRP comes from your own blood. In a review of several studies on PRP for skin rejuvenation, no adverse events were reported.
- Even with numbing cream, the treatment can be mildly painful.
- Several monthly treatments are recommended, to see full benefits, followed by maintenance sessions every six months.
- You’ll have some restrictions on exercise and other activities for a few days following your treatment.
Are you ready to look younger? Schedule a skin consultation with one of our estheticians to see if the Vampire Facial can turn back the clock for you.