What is it about this time of year that conjures up such lovely images? Sleigh rides, cozy sweaters, steaming mocha lattes brimming with whipped cream. But that’s not the old thing old Mr. Winter brings with him when he blows into town. Let’s not forget chapped lips, dry hands and cracked feet that feel like someone is rubbing sandpaper across them. As the seasons change, its important to switch up your skincare routine so that your skin can still look and feel its very best, even in the dead of winter.
Keeping healthy skin in winter is the real challenge. Your skin loses its natural moisture, resulting in itchy and dry skin. In some cases, it can even lead to psoriasis, eczema, and other skin conditions. If you are struggling, we have a few winter face care tips that help you maintain your skin’s moisture.
- Choose Products Wisely- Cleansers that contain moisturizers won’t strip your skin of its natural moisture barrier. If you have acne or breakouts, use products containing ceramides, hyaluronic acid, hydration serums, and glycerin to help in repairing the moisture barrier of your skin.
- Protect Your Skin– Protect your skin from the cold wind, snow and rain if you are stepping out in winter. Wear gloves, caps and do not forget your sunscreen.While the warmth of the sun may feel pleasant, the UV rays can still be damaging to your skin. Choose a sunscreen that provides a physical barrier against the sun.
- Take Lukewarm Showers- It is very tempting to go for hot showers when the temperature is dipping. But if you love your skin, avoid them. Instead, use lukewarm water to shower and wash your face. Hot showers dry your skin quickly, and if you do not moisturize it immediately, your skin can develop cracks and winter eczema. Once you have taken a lukewarm shower, apply a moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid and ceramides. This will keep the moisture barrier intact and prevent dryness.
- Stay Hydrated- Be it inside your home or outside, the air is drier in winter. And as a result, water evaporates from your body easily. Hence, you need to keep your skin hydrated. You can also install a humidifier to manage the moisture level in your home. This will certainly keep your skin happy.
- Don’t Overdo the Exfoliation- Exfoliating the skin eliminates dead skin cells. But your skin barrier is already compromised due to the dry and cold weather. Exfoliating your skin once a week is fine. This will boost skin regeneration and product absorption.
- Follow a Daily Routine- It doesn’t need to be elaborate. Here’s a very basic and simple skin care routine that anyone can follow to keep their skin happy during the winter. Cleanse your skin once or twice a day, preferably in the morning and before going to bed. After washing your face in the morning, apply a light daily moisturizer to lock the moisture in. And at night, use a heavy moisturizer or overnight cream. This should be done on damp skin because just-washed skin absorbs moisture better.
- Don’t Forget to Exercise- We totally get it! It’s hard to leave the warmth and coziness of the blanket behind and get moving on a chilly winter morning. But do it if you love your skin. Exercise will pump up your heart rate, which in turn, pumps more blood to your organs and skin.
- Maintain a Healthy & Balanced Diet- Consume a lot of seasonal fruits and veggies. Berries are exceptional sources of vitamins and antioxidants that your skin needs to stay healthy during the cold weather. Fruits, veggies, and other food items such as salads, soups, juices, and milk can aid with hydration. Give your body the nutrients to keep the skin healthy.
Remember that diet, exercise and hydration all play a vital role in keeping skin looking fresh. Our skincare tips should have you healthy and glowing, all winter long. If you are still experiencing flakiness or extreme dryness, please call us for a skincare consultation.